VELMA

October 9, 2008 | |



Glasses, Muse; Turtleneck, Fesyen Zon; Dress, Roberta di Camerino at Nichii; Tights, Soxworld; Shoes, 138 at Tang.

The construction of this look was inspired from a woman who appeared on a page in an old copy of NYLON magazine. I lost that copy, possibly from all that rushed moving from one apartment to the next. Despite the magazine's absence, her image stayed affixed in my head. She's an independent fashion designer from Mexico whose name was too long and (somewhat) destined to be easily forgotten. But her outfit in that photographed was remarkably memorable and worth being echoed. With an amicable smile, she had on the simplest tanned-orange dress over fitting white shirt and the most stylish knee-length brun suede boots.

I was in awe!

I seldom see orange on people walking in the streets. It's not as kitschy as yellow tends to appear yet it still remains below-par in the list of human-oriented colors. And to see a poised young lady working out the tone without succumbing religiously to any routine fad of that year was reinvigorating. So I paid an homage to the unknown subject by pairing this 1960s-inspired Roberta di Camerino dress with my favorite bleached white turtleneck. Initially I thought of walking around all day in the faux-suede boots I bought during one of my shopping sprees with Xavier. But surely boots would look fiercely out of place while I'm on the job? I wasn't quite sure if I wanted to prove my heart wrong so the substitute that were to grace my feet had to be my trusty Mary Janes.