LOLITA

November 4, 2008 | |

Testement of my fatigued, washed-out face after a day of tedious invigilation at work:



Blouse, unknown; Skirt, Creme at Jusco; Tights, thrifted at The Street Market; Shoes, Passion at Upstairs...the Boutique


I’ve always had this outfit in my mind but had never tried to materialize it until today. And I have to tell the world that I love every bit of it. I’m no fan of all-black getup but this is an exception. I don’t usually wear this particular ruffled blouse either because it takes surmountable energy to iron the ruffles to crisp perfection. I couldn’t transfer to La La land last night so I spent quite some time doing some serious ironing. There’s an art to ironing, I suppose. I think the trick lies in the way you press the metal on a certain momentum. I ran out of starch so the result wasn’t breathtaking. Oh, and the skirt was the hardest to iron too. But I love it nonetheless for its full and flare-ish body without having to disguise a tulle underneath. If I had it altered properly, it would take on the appearance of a high-waisted skirt.

On another note, I’m swearing off my hands from shopping for new clothes, at least till the end of murky November. Reason number one: my wardrobe is about to explode all of its guts. Instead of selling, I’m thinking of giving away my clothes for charity. Perhaps to a number of orphanages within the Klang Valley. I’ve done this since I was in school; the thought of a few girls benefitting from my overweight wardrobe is a good feeling. Reason number two: I’m broke this month, thanks to the restoration of life for my Macbook. I thought of postponing my enrolment in the New York-based Gotham Writers' Workshop to summer next year (if my Master’s course is not too rough for me). However, my darling mother had offered to pay the fees until I recover from very own my economic predicament. Worse comes to worst, I can just enrol in the program next year and build up my fiction portfolio with the editorial help of my word-savvy boyfriend.

Speaking of that, despite the sudden depletion of cash and slight change of program, I can still find a concrete reason to smile. My boyfriend is finally graduating from my alma mater, Western Michigan University and coming home very, very soon— in a matter of forty two days!

Such goodness in life.